Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Shoot One for Yourself



The last three weeks have been unusually busy. Guess it's a good thing that I haven't announced this blog yet. I didn't feel compelled to take time to post.

Amidst client work, three competitions, other projects and preparations for a solo show, a few local events slipped onto my calendar. The Marshfield Citizen of the Year dinner takes place each spring. This year Jack and Beth Griffin deservedly received the award in front of a record sized crowd of well-wishers. I took the standard shots under the tent (not designed with photography in mind). The admiration, love and respect for the Griffins, and their many contributions to the community, was palpable, even in the far reaches of the second tent.

After I thought I'd left for the evening, I walked back into the adjoining 1699 Isaac Winslow House. Suzy B. sat with past recipient, Roy Kirby, in the beautiful tea room. Unposed, they turned toward me and gave us this candid.

Last night at a meeting of the New England Chapter of the American Society of Media Photographers, Brian Smith of Editorial Photographer reminded his audience to "shoot one for yourself." When you've completed your client's checklist be sure to make the image that you want for yourself. Thanks to Suzy and Roy I not only shot one for myself, I sat and enjoyed quiet conversation and a respite from the busyness of checklists.

Thanks to all the Citizens of the Year and other nominees who make Marshfield, Massachusetts such a great community in which to live, work, play, and sometimes just sit with friends and neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment